Moving Home

You may think your present home is not suitable any more. Perhaps your family has outgrown your house, or you’ve been left living somewhere that is too big for you. You could have medical reasons for wanting a different type of home.

Whatever the reason, you can apply for a ‘transfer’ to another Social Housing property. To do this, you will need to register on the LBTH’s Housing Register page, which you can find here.

Your community housing officer will discuss your application with you and if you qualify, they will help register you onto the Common Housing Register. You will then be able to bid for empty council and other housing association properties in the borough.

We will look at your present housing situation and at what you need in the future. We consider every transfer application sympathetically but sometimes we have to turn people down. If this happens to you we will tell you reasons in writing.

If you would like to learn move about moving home you can email us at with ‘Moving Home’ in the subject.

Mutual Exchanges

All THCH tenants have the right to carry out a mutual exchange (swapping their home with another tenant) as long as the exchange is into an appropriately sized property according to the age and size of their household. You can find out more at Home Swapper.

Housing Moves is the Mayor of London’s mobility scheme and can help you if you want to move to a different part of London.

If you are aged 60 or over and want to move our of London you can also use this site to register for the Seaside & Country Homes scheme.