Help getting into work

For advice and help about getting into work, visit Love London Working and Work Path.

Financial Health Centre

A range of free, confidential and independent services available to all residents in Tower Hamlets.

Drop-in sessions will be allocated on a first come, first served basis and limited to six people per session so we advise that you come early in either the morning or afternoon to avoid disappointment. To vie the services available please visit

To book an appointment, please call 020 7364 2200.

For further information please see the links below

Money Advice Service.

Universal Credit Financial Support.

Step Change

Citizens Advice Bureau

Benefits and Welfare Reform

Check your benefits entitlement at Entitledto.

Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax is where the Housing Benefit Department decides if you have more bedroom(s) than you’re entitled to. They will then apply an appropriate reduction to your Housing Benefit. Currently these reductions are 14% for 1 extra room and 25% for 2 or more extra rooms. Bedroom tax only affects people under pensionable age.
What can you do if you are affected?

  • Pay the rent shortfall from your current income.
  • Take on a lodger where appropriate (with consent from THCH)
  • Register for a transfer or mutual exchange with the view of moving to a smaller home
  • Apply for Discretionary Housing Benefit
Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a welfare payment combining six existing benefits into one, paid once a month into your bank account which will replace the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefits
  • Income related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Tax Credits
  • Income Support
  • Child Benefits

For more information, please use the following links

Universal Credit.

Universal Credit Helpline 0800 328 5644

Energy saving

Energy Saving Trust

The Energy Saving Trust provides the information you need to make informed decisions about managing the energy efficiency of your home which can also help reduce your fuel bills.

For more information, please visit

Project LEAP

Project LEAP works in close partnership with Local Authorities and Housing Associations across the country to offer eligible residents a completely FREE energy and money saving service.

LEAP can help to save you money AND keep your home warm and cosy and offers a free of charge in-home advice visit. Their Home Energy Advisors can:

  • install free simple energy saving measures such as LED light bulbs and draught-proofing
  • check if you’re on the best energy tariff
  • arrange a free money advice consultation
  • help you find funding for further energy-saving home improvements.

For more information, please visit

Monarch Partnerships

Monarch Partnership has created a useful document explaining to tenants how they can become more energy efficient and save money on bills.

Challenges for residents include: poor energy efficiency in homes, mould and damp condensation and not being aware of how to save energy and cut down costs.

The document can be downloaded here.

Benefit Cap

If you are aged 16 to 64, there may be a limit on the total amount of benefit your household can get. This is called the Benefit Cap.

From 7 November 2016, the cap in Greater London changed to:

  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £296.35 per week (£15,410 a year) if you’re a single adult

If you newly fall into these groups, you will start to be affected from sometime in January 2017. Those already affected by the Cap will have seen a further reduction made from 7 November.

What can you do if you are affected?

  • Try to find Employment. (People on Working Tax Credits are exempt from Cap)
  • Apply for Discretionary Housing Benefit – (only a short term solution)
  • Look for ways to save money i.e. better Gas and Electricity tariffs

The following Benefits will exempt you from the Welfare Cap. Check to see if you receive the following Benefits;

  • Personal Independence Payments ( PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Carers Allowance

If you are struggling to pay your rent and need to speak to someone please contact the Income Recovery team.

If you need advice and support on getting into work or managing your money and benefits please contact our Tenancy Support Officer on 020 7780 3070.