Supporting you

Help, when you need it

Being a part of a community, means supporting its people to thrive. We provide advice, workshops, and other support to help you when you need it. 

We’ve put together a list of useful links that you might find helpful, whether you need help now or simply want to know what’s available to you in the future. And remember, your Council website will also be able to provide more information on safeguarding concerns.

If we can’t help you, we can point you in the right direction.


Support from Tower Hamlets Council

Resident Hub

Do you need in-person support from Tower Hamlets Council? The Council's Resident Hub offers appointments & drop-in services at various locations throughout the borough. Get help on a range of things like Council Tax, Housing Benefit, and more. Find more details below. 

Tower Hamlets Resident Hub

Cost of living handbook

A guide to the help and support available for Tower Hamlets residents during the cost of living crisis.

Cost of living handbook

We do not tolerate domestic abuse 

If you, or someone in your neighbourhood, is experiencing domestic abuse – we are here to help. We know that every situation is different, and we will be led by you. You are not alone and can have confidence in speaking to our experienced team. 

Domestic abuse can include controlling, coercive or threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are of have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of their gender or sexuality.

In an emergency always call the police (999)

Get in touch

Help available to you

Energy saving advice

Energy Saving Trust

Around 21% of the UK’s carbon emissions come from our homes. The Energy Saving Trust helps you to make your home more energy efficient, reduce your carbon emissions and lower your energy bills.

Get advice


Project LEAP

Project LEAP works in close partnership with Local Authorities and Housing Associations across the country to offer eligible residents a completely FREE energy and money saving service.

LEAP can help to save you money and keep your home warm and cosy. Its free of charge home visit can:

  • install free simple energy saving measures such as LED light bulbs and draught-proofing
  • check if you’re on the best energy tariff
  • arrange a free money advice consultation
  • help you find funding for further energy-saving home improvements.

Free advice

Financial Health Check

Financial Health Check

A range of free, confidential, and independent services available to all residents in Tower Hamlets.

Drop-in sessions will be allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and limited to six people per session so we advise that you come early in either the morning or afternoon to avoid disappointment. 

Find out more

To book an appointment, please call 020 7364 2200.

For further information please see the links below

Money Advice Service.

Universal Credit Financial Support.

Step Change

Citizens Advice Bureau

Employment support

Finding a new job

It can be daunting trying to find a new job - but it's an important step towards building your future. Love London Working helps unemployed people over 16 to find work in London. They can help with CV writing, IT skills, job applications and interview prep. 

Get advice

The Better Employment Project

Are you feeling stuck in a job? The Hopscotch Woman's Centre is running the Better Employment Project to help support people who want to improve their skills and further their careers. They're providing free 1:1 coaching sessions and workshops on career guidance, job searching, CV writing, interview preperation and more. The project will be running until December 2024.

Further information

Benefit information and support

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a welfare payment combining six existing benefits into one, paid once a month into your bank account which will replace the following benefits:

  • Housing Benefits
  • Income-related Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Tax Credits
  • Income Support
  • Child Benefits

More information


Bedroom Tax

Bedroom Tax is where the Housing Benefit Department decides if you have more bedroom(s) than you’re entitled to. They will then apply an appropriate reduction to your Housing Benefit. Currently, these reductions are 14% for one extra room and 25% for two or more extra rooms. Bedroom tax only affects people under pensionable age.

What can you do if you are affected?

  • Pay the rent shortfall from your current income.
  • Take on a lodger where appropriate (with consent from THCH)
  • Register for a transfer or mutual exchange with the view of moving to a smaller home
  • Apply for Discretionary Housing Benefit


Benefit Cap

If you are aged 16 to 64, there may be a limit on the total amount of benefit your household can get. This is called the Benefit Cap.

From 7 November 2016, the cap in Greater London changed to:

  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re in a couple
  • £442.31 per week (£23,000 a year) if you’re a single parent and your children live with you
  • £296.35 per week (£15,410 a year) if you’re a single adult

If you newly fall into these groups, you will start to be affected from sometime in January 2017. Those already affected by the Cap will have seen a further reduction made from 7 November.

What can you do if you are affected?

  • Try to find Employment. (People on Working Tax Credits are exempt from Cap)
  • Apply for Discretionary Housing Benefit – (only a short term solution)
  • Look for ways to save money i.e. better Gas and Electricity tariffs

The following Benefits will exempt you from the Welfare Cap. Check to see if you receive the following Benefits;

  • Personal Independence Payments ( PIP)
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Carers Allowance

If you are struggling to pay your rent and need to speak to someone please contact the Income Recovery team.

If you need advice and support on getting into work or managing your money and benefits please contact our Tenancy Support Officer.

Get in touch

Upskilling courses

Free upskilling courses for adults 

Would you like to improve your maths skills? New City College are providing a range of free adult courses designed to:

  • Improve your maths skills for work
  • Help with your children's homework
  • Manage your finances

More information & sign up


CV/mock interview workshops with Axis

Axis are delighted to be launching quarterly CV/Mock Interview Workshops at their Head Office in Stratford, E15 4PN.

The workshops are aimed at job-seekers who are looking to enhance their skills and gain valuable insights into crafting the perfect CV and acing interviews. The first session is taking place on 7 May 2024 from 10am-12pm.

Click below for more information and email to register your attendance.

More information

  • More than a landlord

    Our dedicated Tenancy Support Officers are on hand to offer advice, guidance and help to sustain your tenancy. 

    Contact us

  • Benefit calculator 

    You may be entitled to financial support, but feel the UK’s benefits system is very complicated - don't be overwhelmed, there's advice out there.

    Access suport

  • Back on track

    It can be scary to admit you need help, but it's an important step towards dealing with your money worries. 

    Free debt advice

We're here to help. Get in touch on 020 7780 3070 or