Anti-Social Behaviour

Everyone should feel safe in their home and community. As part of our aim to build connected communities we encourage all of our residents to help build a culture of respect and improve the quality of life in our community.

If anti-social behaviour is affecting your quality of life, we are here to offer help and advice.

What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

The types of behaviour we consider to be anti-social include (but are not limited to):

  • Noise nuisance

  • Verbal abuse

  • Intimidation or harassment

  • Violence and threats of violence

  • Illegal drug use or dealing

If the incident is series or criminal in nature you should report it to the Police.


What is not anti-social behaviour?

Some kinds of day-to-day behaviour can be annoying but we would not consider them as anti-social behaviour. For example:

  • Noisy plumbing

  • Neighbours using their home in day to day activity

  • Occasional or one-off parties or barbecues

  • Parking disputes

Although not classified as anti-social behaviour, your Community Housing Officer can still help resolve these types of issues but they would not be investigated as anti-social behaviour.

We will work in partnership with the police and other agencies (including Parkguard) to tackle and prevent ASB.

To report an incident of ASB ring our customer service team or complete the form below.

How to report Anti-Social Behaviour?

ASB incident report form

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory


You should report all instances of anti-social behaviour you experience or witness in your Neighbourhood. Even if there is not enough evidence to act against the perpetrator(s), your report will be recorded and may help substantiate future cases, as well as aiding the Neighbourhoods team in directing resources effectively. 

If you have reported an ongoing problem of ASB, but do not believe it has been dealt with you can ask the Tower Hamlets Council Community Safety Partnership to review your complaints (including incidents of hate) under the Community Trigger  process.

The Community Trigger should only be used if no action has been taken as a result of repeat reporting of antisocial behaviour. It cannot be used to report general acts of crime. 

The use of the community trigger does not interfere with your right to follow our  internal complaint procedure; both processes can run at the same time.

More detailed information on the process, including the threshold and how to apply, can be accessed by clicking on the link below:

Tower Hamlets Community Trigger





Tips if you are having problems with one of your neighbours

It's good to talk

If you are experiencing problems with another THCH tenant. We recommend that you try speaking to your neighbour in the first instance.

Communicating and explaining issues is often the best way to resolve them. For example, your neighbour may not have been aware of the nuisance that they were causing. Also, most people would prefer that you spoke to them and gave them a chance to make things better, rather than reporting to us.

We encourage neighbours to speak to each other in a polite and civil manner. Raising your voice or behaving aggressively or disrespectfully will only make things worse. It is important to explain to them what is causing the problem and how it is affecting you. In some cases, you might want to invite them into your home so they can witness the problem for themselves.


Work together

The best outcome is for you and your neighbours to agree together what needs to happen to make things better.

Whenever you are discussing issues with neighbours it is important to be respectful, listen to their perspective and be open to finding a long term solution.

We believe that using this approach, neighbours can come up with agreements that are realistic and long-lasting.


Write a note

If you don’t feel able to speak to your neighbour face-to-face, we suggest you put a polite note through their door.

Write down what’s causing you a problem and how it’s affecting you. Make sure the note is polite and can’t be taken in the wrong way. You could start the note by saying “This is a polite note to make you aware that…”. Ideally in this note, you will offer them the chance to discuss the matter with you.

If there is a good reason you cannot speak to your neighbour or post a note, then please contact us


Contact us

Please be aware that THCH expects people making reports to take reasonable steps to resolve the problem for themselves. If you don’t then THCH may decline to take any further action in relation to your report.

If problems continue, please contact your Neighbourhood Officer.

Get in touch with our Contact Centre who will arrange for one of the team to contact you.

Phone: 020 7780 3070 



When to contact the Police

If you or someone else is in immediate danger you must contact the police on 999, and then let us know of any crime reference numbers so we can work with the police to help you.    

If you believe criminal activities are being carried out, you should also contact the police.        

Got a question? You can call us on 020 7780 3070 or