By 2025, our building safety programme will achieve a B1 rating for our buildings over 18 metres, and we’re continuously working to achieve this.
A B1 rating means that the fire risk is sufficiently low that no remedial works are required. It also provides assurance to mortgage lenders and valuers, making B1 properties a more desirable option for leaseholders looking to sell.
On this page, you’ll find buildings that have recently undergone works that have brought it’s EWS rating from a B2, to a B1.
Project overview for Verdigris Apartments
The below is an overview for the updates we provided as the project progressed.
Following receipt of the government funding in regard to the cladding remedial work, we entered into contract with Axis Europe and work commenced on site in March 2021, with an estimated completion date of December 2022.
While works were initally expected to be completed in December 2022, a number of factors contributed to the extension of the programme to Spring 2023:
- Weather: over December, it was too cold for the silicone sealants and concrete mortar to set (without freezing and losing it bonding), and it's also been too wet, which has prevented the cleaning of the brickwork
- Access: staff have had limited access due to train strikes, plus reduced hours and staff over the Christmas period has had an impact
- Additional works to Automatic Opening Vents (AOV) to the 6th floor garden: this required design and manufacturing of prefabricated support to allow jointing to cladding system
|Obtained Grant Approval for Recladding Works||January 2021|
|Obtained Grant Approval for Alarms Works||March 2021|
|Main Recladding Contractor Appointed||March 2021|
|Start Recladding Works (Site Set-up)||May 2021|
|Compartmentalisation Works (by Hills)||July - September 2021|
|Alarms Installation Works (By Hills)||July - October 2021|
|Erect Scaffolding||August 2021|
|Start on Site - Main Works||September 2021|
- Held ongoing discussions with the original developer, Hill Ltd, about what contribution they will make to the remediation works that are required and waking watch costs incurred.
The Construction Programme is available here: THCH Verdigris Indicative Construction Programme 28.01.2022.pdf [pdf] 704KB
Cladding: The demolition elements of the project was completed in December and the recladding work began in January 2022. The anticipated completion date for the works is currently December 2022. (Delayed).
A visual diagram of the Cladding Works is now available to view: Verdigris Cladding Diagram.pdf
- You will see both consultants and contractors (Axis Europe) working in your block to deliver remediation work. This will include detailed survey work and some potential disruption to access, when and where we will open up various parts of the building / examining the construction behind the cladding and decking etc. This is required is ongoing preparatory work will influence and finalise the detail remedial works required.
- When site huts and compounds have been installed. This led to the temporary loss of some parking spaces, but we have made alternative arrangements for residents who are affected by this.
Additional making good of external areas ie gardens and paving areas subject to review when scaffolding is removed
Internal works to install "putty pads" ongoing to a limited number of residents
- Please click here to view a timelapse of completed works.
Other updates provided:
We successfully applied to the Waking Watch Relief Fund for grant funding to cover the costs of fire alarm installation for Verdigris Apartments and the installation of the alarms were completed by RGE in March. Following completion of the alarms system, the Waking Watch was removed on 7 March 2022.
Our contractors completed copper installation on levels 2-8 of the copper tower as works continued on the lower floor. Once scaffold was further dismantled and removed, we will reviewed what repairs would be required to areas that has been damaged/affected by the cladding works, such as garden areas.
The Hardie plank cladding to Nelson Gardens was completed. Our compartmentalisation contractors finalised the works and worked in the service ducts by flat entrance doors.
Our contractors are installed the new decking to the 6th floor garden area. Works progressed well after the reconstruction of the ventilation shaft (AOV) tower. We also looked at removing existing decayed decking on the first floor garden, which is not part of the recladding works.
Scaffold was removed by March 17 to the upper areas and entrance is expected to be complete. The compound was removed over night on the 28/29 of March.
Other information for Verdigris Apartments
1. Urang Group
To help improve services, in April 2023, we announced that Urang Group would be the new managing agent for Verdigris Apartments and Nelson Gardens.
While we go through the handover phase, we wanted to help make it clear who is responsible for which services, and who you can contact if you have a query over a particular matter.
We will continue to manage some areas and Urang Group will take over management of day-to-day services. Please note, current year accounts (23/24) will be produced Urang.
Services THCH will continue to manage
|THCH services||Further information|
|Cladding works and resulting defects||A list of the resulting defects will be made available to residents in our next update. If you require this sooner, please get in touch.|
|Internal decorations||The Section 20 consultation is live and will stay with us until complete.|
|2022/23 service charge actuals||These will be available by 30 September. Individual service charge queries remain with us.|
|Buildings insurance||Building insurance forms part of the wider THCH insurance policy. If the Urang contract goes beyond March 2024, then they will take over this area.
New claims against building insurance should be submitted to Urang in the instance.
|Communal electricity billing (until March 2024)||Communal electricity billing forms part of the wider THCH utility contract. If the Urang contract goes beyond March 2024, then they will take over this area.|
|Cold water storage||Monthly servicing will continue to be carried out by us.|
|Fire risk assessments and fire door inspections||We will continue to carry out the annual Fire Risk Assessment and regular fire door inspections.|
|Fire safety equipment (automatic opening vent, emergency lighting, fire alarms, lightning, solar, risers)||We will continue to carry out regular testing of fire equipment.|
|Lift maintenance||Regular serving and maintenance will continue by us.|
|Lift insurance||We’ll continue to ensure compliance with servicing and maintenance of the lift.|
|Communal heating maintenance||Servicing and repairs of communal boiler.|
|Personal heating||We will continue to manage the gas supply and personal heating costs will be shared with Urang, who will then charge residents.|
Services Urang Group will manage
|Urang services||Transfer date|
|Bulk rubbish||1 June 2023 (when required)|
|Caretaking, cleaning, and any refuse issues||1 June 2023|
|Communal repairs (including CCTV, TV aerial/satellite, sewers and drains)||1 June 2023|
|Entryphone maintenance||1 June 2023|
|Grounds maintenance||1 June 2023|
|Pest control||1 June 2023 (if required)|
|Window cleaning||1 June 2023|
|Ground rent, service charge payments, and recovery||1 June 2023|
|Parking management||1 June 2023|
|Complaints||1 June 2023|
|Repairs||1 June 2023|
As a leaseholder, there are responsibilities you have to help keep your home safe and in good condition. You can find more information about these responsibilities on our website, alternatively, you can get in touch with Urang Group who will be happy to help.
- Informing Urang Group of any alterations/household changes
- Gas safety checks
- Testing your home's smoke alarm
- Heating and electrics (bleeding radiotors, lamps, light bulbs)
- Informing THCH of subletting
- Insurance policies
2. Service charge review
Following your feedback, we have completed a review of the last ten years of service charges for Verdigris Apartments.
A lot has changed over ten years and your services may reflect this.
3. Weekly cleaning schedule
Project overview for Charles Dickens House
Your safety is our priority. To date, we have:
- Upgraded all home and communal area fire doors
- Completed firestopping throughout the building
- Provided Electrical Installation Condition Reports (EICR) for all homes and communal areas
- Completed all repairs to a satisfactory certificate standard
- Carried out internal and external structure reports, with a low risk assessment result
- Removed the cladding around the bin store to reduce any risk of a fire
Other B1 buildings
We’ve completed testing which has resulted in an EWS B1 rating for 37-92 Barnardo Gardens.
Safety measures for this building include the ‘stay put’ policy, monthly block inspections, and management and servicing of fire safety equipment.